Reporting Resources

University Resources to Prevent and Respond to Sexual Harassment and Discrimination

We are committed to providing support to anyone who has experienced any form of harassment or discrimination. This list of resources was initially compiled by the UC Berkeley Department of Astronomy.

For Those in Need of Help:

Some campus resources are non-confidential and are required to report incidents of harassment to the Office of Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD). Other resources are confidential and are not required to report. All faculty members and graduate students in a supervisory capacity (GSIs; research advisors) are "responsible employees" and therefore have a legal requirement to report violations of Title IX policy to OPHD.

If you wish confidentiality, please ask before confiding.

The PATH to Care Center [For 24 hour hotline (510) 643-2005; for scheduling appointments (510) 642-1988] is confidential. Confidental Care Advocates are exactly that: they serve as your "right hand" and as an entry point for exploring all your options in a caring, confidential, and non-judgmental manner. They are social workers who serve students, faculty, and staff, helping to implement solutions (a.k.a. "accommodations") in a discreet way.

The Social Services branch of the Tang Center [(510) 642-6074; (855) 817-5667 after-hours emergency] is confidential. Tang Center therapists provide emotional counseling to survivors of sexual harassment and violence. Note that Tang Center doctors also provide medical help but are required to report violent injuries.

The UC Police Department [911 or (510) 642-3333]. UCPD has extensive training in handling sexual assault cases and will treat survivors with respect and sensitivity. Officers will ensure that survivors receive medical care. Charges can be filed with UCPD, but the decision to file charges does not have to be made immediately; reporting is typically non-confidential.

The Office of the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD) [(510) 643-7985] responds to reports of harassment, either through "alternative resolution" involving simple and discreet actions at the Department level (often involving the Department Chair), or through more extensive "formal investigations" that can lead to disciplinary action by the University administration. Although OPHD is a non-confidential "office of record" — meaning they record all information they are provided — that information is shared only on a need-to-know basis.

OPHD's answer to: Where can you get assistance if you are a student who has been a victim of sexual assault?

The Gender Equity Resource Center provides resource referrals for sexual violence, harassment, gender transition, hate crimes, and hostile environments. Like all the other non-confidential offices listed here, they hold privacy sacred but are obligated to report incidents of harassment as mandated by law.

Many more links are at, both confidential and otherwise.

Note the various tabs for "Medical" help, "Emotional" help, "Safety", "Reporting", and "Responding to Allegations".

For Those Looking to Help a Student:

OPHD's answer to: How should you help if you are approached by a student who has been a victim of a sexual assault?

The "Students of Concern" Committee provides help in dealing with a student who displays concerning, disruptive, or distressed behavior. The Students of Concern Committee is non-confidential and shares information among strategic partners concerned about student welfare. They also provide 1-hour training sessions to help supervisors recognize students in need.

If You are a Student who has been Charged with Violating the Code of Student Conduct:

Respondent Services, a branch of the Student Affairs Case Management team, provides information and referrals to students who have been charged with student conduct violations. Respondent Services does not provide legal counsel.

If You are in Need of More Generic Conflict Resolution:

The Ombuds Offices provide confidential guidance on resolving conflicts. "What is said in the Cottage [of the Ombuds Offices], stays in the Cottage": communications to the Ombuds offices do not place the University "on notice." Ombuds officers help people think through their options and help devise strategies to de-escalate and resolve conflict in an impartial manner.

The Student Ombuds Office serves Undergraduates, Graduate students, and Postdocs.